The mission of Rockefeller College is to foster an inclusive residential community of care and responsibility that welcomes students from diverse backgrounds, perspectives, nationalities, and identities. All of our community members – staff, faculty, and fellow students – take an active role in supporting each other’s intellectual academic and personal well-being and growth, and help each other to realize their full potential at Princeton. Together, we create and steward a space to facilitate meaningful and enduring engagement among community members. We learn from each other thoughtfully and respectfully, and we authentically connect with people across difference, and we support the movement towards agency and empowerment: we believe that these activities create the foundation for a transformative (academic AND residential!) educational experience.
Community Expectations and Values
Rocky’s caring community members devote much effort and talent to creating the welcoming atmosphere of our college: dining staff create nourishing and satisfying meals and a sense of home; the custodial staff maintain clean and comfortable buildings; the college office staff help students thrive by reaching their empowering them to reach their potential and maintaining balance the academic and social aspects of their Princeton experience; our student leaders support their peers and foster their growth. It is important to appreciate the contributions of those who work to maintain Rockefeller College, and to contribute to this community yourself. We challenge you to leave this home even better than you found it.
University-wide policies, procedures, and community standards applicable to all aspects of campus life can be found in Rights, Rules, Responsibilities as well as policies concerning harassment, discrimination, and academic integrity.
These are our Rocky steps to a thriving community (ROCKY WINS!):
- Reach out - The Rocky college staff, our extensively trained student leaders (RCAs, PAAs, Fields Center Fellows, LGBT Educators, SHARE Peers, and PHAs), and our dining and facilities staff care about you, your experiences and ideas, and about our community. We are all here to support you and are happy to talk with you should you have questions, concerns, or want to discuss anything that is on your mind.
- Ownership - we are all stewards of this community! Be an upstander. If you encounter a situation or behavior that conflicts with community values, say something. We rely on you to take ownership; this means everything from picking up your dishes in the dining hall, laundry in the laundry rooms, and trash in common spaces to taking responsibility for helping us to plan successful and inclusive programs.
- Connection - Make time to talk to each other and participate in shared experiences. When we commit to genuinely getting to know each other through dialogue, we begin to understand the experiences of others and how friendship can sustain us.
- Kindness - Appreciate and respect the members of this community. seeing every student, staff member and faculty member as a whole person; we’re all human and a little kindness goes a long way! You can impact a whole community just by being kind to one person.
- You - We value all of the identities you bring to this community. We can only be Rocky with YOU!
- Wellness - Well-being is the foundation for everything else. Get enough sleep, eat nutritious food, exercise, get out in nature, make down time a priority.
- Inclusivity and Intersectionality - We value all of the identities you bring to this community, and the way that we speak to and act towards each other should reflect this. Make an effort to think about how you could widen your own circle, and speak up when you notice that someone is being left out! You could help someone who is struggling, and learn something about yourself in the process.
- New experiences - Take academic and nonacademic risks. College is about stretching yourself, and you’ll never stretch if you don’t reach and try something different!
- Show up - Just as we do for you, we expect that you will keep the commitments you make to each other and to your community to be present when you say that you will be present, and that you will bring your whole self to every conversation and experience.